Live the Lion was created in an attempt to keep everyone up to date on Lance O'Cull and his road to recovery.

Lance was involved in a car accident near Morehead, Kentucky about 30 miles from where we grew up Thanksgiving weekend of 2010. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident to UK Medical Center in Lexington. The doctors told us that they could fix everything below the neck, but his brain was in God's hands. On December 22, after multiple surgeries, Lance was transferred to The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia for an intense rehabilitation program.

It was there that Lance began to gradually emerge from a coma. Lance was discharged to home, in Vanceburg on February 17th, to continue his therapy with family.

On March 10th, Lance's 25th birthday, he stood on his feet for the first time in 103 days, with lots of help. On May 11th, Lance was accepted into Cardinal Hill's brain injury unit. There he impressed and amazed our family and friends, as well as his therapists through the progress he made everyday.

Between September 2011 and April of 2012, Lance was back and forth between Cardinal Hill's inpatient program and Shepherd Center's inpatient and outpatient program. He has had a couple minor surgeries to enhance his healing and a baclofen pump inserted to help with the tone in his body.

For the past year, Lance is back in Lewis County splitting his time with both parents. He continues to travel to Ashland 3 times a week and Lexington once a week. He is learning to walk again and we couldn't be more thrilled.

It hasn't been easy, Lance has had some setbacks and tears still fall. But he is up and running this marathon. And we are all running right along beside him.

Most of the blog entries have been made by myself, Chelcee, the big sister, Brock, our baby brother, and Dr. Johnny, our dad. Our goal is for Lance to finish this blog as soon as he is able.

God has been with Lance and our entire family, giving us strength. We give Him the Glory. He is the God of Miracles.


Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dance 4 Lance

We keep I-75 hot these days, especially on Saturdays, that's the day my parents are traving to and from the Shepherd Center to spend their week with Lance. Today, my mom is heading south and as soon as she arrives, my dad and Gena will head back to Kentucky.
On this Saturday afternoon, Brock and I will be hanging out in Vanceburg with lots of family and friends at Central Elementary school for a zumbathon, Dance 4 Lance!

From 4:00 until 6:00, $5 entry fee.

Some of you may already have your Dance 4 Lance tshirts, there will be some available for $10 if you would like one. It's my understanding that like the Live the Lion bracelets, the shirts seem to be a hot item. If your size of shirt isn't available tomorrow, some of my friends will be there to take up orders and money for more shirts.
So, whether you zumba or you don't zumba, come and hang out with us. It will be a good time!

Im a firm believer in the power of prayer. What I don't understand is the timing. But I'll just leave all of that up to God. He has it all under control.

Here is the latest update on Shannon Gilbert!

This was a fantastic day!   To paraphrase an old Elvis joke...Shannon left the building!   We were allowed to take her out for lunch today.  This is the first time Shannnon has been outside a hospital for more than 5 weeks, and it was awesome.  My old friend Barry Scwhartz is co-owner of the Campus Pub,  a really neat sports bar/restaurant that is only about a mile from Cardinal Hill.  He and his partner treated us to lunch today, and we had a great time. Shannon was very excited and anxious to get to go out, and we enjoyed a great lunch and some great fellowship and conversation.  


We also had another surprise today.  Shannon made me my favorite dessert that she always makes for my birthday or Father's Day.  It is called Striped Delight, and it is awesome!  The therapists bought the ingredients last night, and Shannon made the dessert this morning as one of her therapy sessions.  As much as I don't like to share my desserts, we shared it with everyone else during dinner this evening.  (I still managed to save some for myself!).  


Shannon is doing so well, and we are so thankful.  I can't even find the words to describe how we feel.  She understands what happpened to her, and understands that she is getting better every day thanks to her hard work and the great therapists that are helping her, and the awesome power of prayer. 


We have enjoyed a lot of laughter today, as Shannon's old personality is coming back strong.  Holly was putting some Mederma (scar cream) on Shannon's trach scar this afternoon, and she told her "this doesn't sting or burn".  After a few seconds, Shannon pulled a joke on Holly when she flinched and said "ouch".  Then she burst into laughter.  This is the Shannon that we know, and it is great to see her coming back.


I asked her if she wanted to say anything to those of you that are following the updates, and she said to say thanks for all the cards and flowers and the prayers.   


Thanks so much to everyone for your outpouring of love and support, and most importantly, for your prayers.  God has blessed us so much.  



No comments:

Post a Comment