Live the Lion was created in an attempt to keep everyone up to date on Lance O'Cull and his road to recovery.

Lance was involved in a car accident near Morehead, Kentucky about 30 miles from where we grew up Thanksgiving weekend of 2010. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident to UK Medical Center in Lexington. The doctors told us that they could fix everything below the neck, but his brain was in God's hands. On December 22, after multiple surgeries, Lance was transferred to The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia for an intense rehabilitation program.

It was there that Lance began to gradually emerge from a coma. Lance was discharged to home, in Vanceburg on February 17th, to continue his therapy with family.

On March 10th, Lance's 25th birthday, he stood on his feet for the first time in 103 days, with lots of help. On May 11th, Lance was accepted into Cardinal Hill's brain injury unit. There he impressed and amazed our family and friends, as well as his therapists through the progress he made everyday.

Between September 2011 and April of 2012, Lance was back and forth between Cardinal Hill's inpatient program and Shepherd Center's inpatient and outpatient program. He has had a couple minor surgeries to enhance his healing and a baclofen pump inserted to help with the tone in his body.

For the past year, Lance is back in Lewis County splitting his time with both parents. He continues to travel to Ashland 3 times a week and Lexington once a week. He is learning to walk again and we couldn't be more thrilled.

It hasn't been easy, Lance has had some setbacks and tears still fall. But he is up and running this marathon. And we are all running right along beside him.

Most of the blog entries have been made by myself, Chelcee, the big sister, Brock, our baby brother, and Dr. Johnny, our dad. Our goal is for Lance to finish this blog as soon as he is able.

God has been with Lance and our entire family, giving us strength. We give Him the Glory. He is the God of Miracles.



~Chelcee




Tuesday, February 7, 2012

prayers for strength, healing, and peace.

Sorry, folks, this one isn't so much about Lance.
He is still doing great, and he is still in Kentucky. We are playing the game of waiting on a bed and insurance approval at the same time. Last week in therapy, he was able to go from a sitting position to standing, while only holding on to the parallel bars, 10 times. So, yep he is getting stronger all the time.

Because many friends, family, and even strangers read this blog, I'm asking you to say some prayers for some friends of mine.

My friend's daughter, Autumn will be having surgery tomorrow (Feb 7th) at Cincinnati Children's. Its going to be a complicated procedure. Comfort is needed for her sweet momma and the rest of her family.

A lady that use to work at the hospital with me, lost her daughter over the weekend. Another one of my very good friends is living a nightmare that I was so close to living myself, 14 months ago. She lost her brother in a car accident yesterday.

These three ladies, who I adore are facing scary times this week.  So, as you go about your busy life and take a minute to scan this blog, please say a prayer for each of them.
Also, count your blessings and hold them tight.

Thank ya
-Chelcee

2 comments:

  1. It seems like I find myself here late at night a lot. I am either drawn here myself or I see where you have posted. It really doesn't matter how I get here, it always makes me feel better, lifts me up, reminds me of how good God is, and in this case lets me know of others who have struggles and burdens that maybe I can help them by praying for them. I pray for the answers that you seek for Lance, a room, the needed insurance approval, continued progress, healing and strength and I just pray for your entire family.
    Reading about the sadness that your friends are going through is heartbreaking.Knowing that they are special to you, makes them special to me. I will pray for them tonight and every night. I keep your family in my prayers, my thoughts and my heart all the time. God bless your friends and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for these ladies. For the peace of the Lord that transcends all human understanding will bring peace, comfort, strength even joy of the midst of everything. For the doctors, nurses that will be around Autumn that they will do everything according to the Lord's will and under His guidance.
    I am also praying that the insurance person that has to make the final call on approving Lance's coverage at Shepherd will act in his favor even if he/she doesn't understand why it is approved and for a bed for Lance at Shepherd.
    Keep us posted about Autumn and Lance. Peace to the ones that lost loved ones.
    Loida

    ReplyDelete