Live the Lion was created in an attempt to keep everyone up to date on Lance O'Cull and his road to recovery.

Lance was involved in a car accident near Morehead, Kentucky about 30 miles from where we grew up Thanksgiving weekend of 2010. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident to UK Medical Center in Lexington. The doctors told us that they could fix everything below the neck, but his brain was in God's hands. On December 22, after multiple surgeries, Lance was transferred to The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia for an intense rehabilitation program.

It was there that Lance began to gradually emerge from a coma. Lance was discharged to home, in Vanceburg on February 17th, to continue his therapy with family.

On March 10th, Lance's 25th birthday, he stood on his feet for the first time in 103 days, with lots of help. On May 11th, Lance was accepted into Cardinal Hill's brain injury unit. There he impressed and amazed our family and friends, as well as his therapists through the progress he made everyday.

Between September 2011 and April of 2012, Lance was back and forth between Cardinal Hill's inpatient program and Shepherd Center's inpatient and outpatient program. He has had a couple minor surgeries to enhance his healing and a baclofen pump inserted to help with the tone in his body.

For the past year, Lance is back in Lewis County splitting his time with both parents. He continues to travel to Ashland 3 times a week and Lexington once a week. He is learning to walk again and we couldn't be more thrilled.

It hasn't been easy, Lance has had some setbacks and tears still fall. But he is up and running this marathon. And we are all running right along beside him.

Most of the blog entries have been made by myself, Chelcee, the big sister, Brock, our baby brother, and Dr. Johnny, our dad. Our goal is for Lance to finish this blog as soon as he is able.

God has been with Lance and our entire family, giving us strength. We give Him the Glory. He is the God of Miracles.


Friday, May 18, 2012

The airport seems to be the only venue where I have time to sit down and blog.  I'm heading back to Atlanta for weekend with Lance so I'll try to provide catch-up info.
Early on Friday of my last weekend there, Lance and I went out into the early morning rain (and traffic).  We made ouy way to the World Congress Center where Chick-fil-le' was staging its annual Leadership conference.  We were privileged to attend a session with Andy Stanley followed by Urban Meyer.  Myer then introduced the "greatest college football player of all time", Tim Tebow.  Tebow & Meyer sat down with Soledad O'Brien in an interview format which offered Tebow opportunity to share his mission and his testimony.  His faith in God is amazing and his comfort and courage in sharing God's love is refreshing and inspiring.

The afternoon was spent in therapy, then we ate at Atlanta popular spot The Varsity.  Afterward we viewed the sites from the sidewalks of Georgia Tech and Midtown Atlanta.  We both crashed eaarly after a long day.  Saturday morning was relaxed and then we met up with our friends the Hyatts (Todd, Megan, & Parker) and their missionary friend from Benin, Michel.  Lance selected a Persian menu for evening meal; Sofus was short walk from the apartment, the food was great and Lance enjoyed immensely.  He seems so happy, so confident; I'm thankful that the Holy Spirit provides him with comfort and peace that is needed in order to be patient on this long rehabilitation process.

I returned to Kentucky on Sunday; mom and Gena had arrived on Saturday evening.  The time with Lance had gone quickly as we stayed so busy; this visit lasted 72 hours, much better than the 30 hour block I had the previous visit.

This past Tuesday Lance was able to resume wearing regular shoes during awake hours.  It marked six weeks since his tendon release surgery and results seem good.  He will continue with weight bearing, building strength, and working at making his feet/legs take steps.  All therapies continue going well and his right arm dexterity continues to improve.  The left arm is lagging behind but we will continue to hope for healing and improvement. 

There are some concerns at this time that will be evaluated in coming days.  He is taking antibiotics for a possible bladder/kidney infection, but no ddefinitive diagnosis yet and little improvement in his discomfort.  He also had a MRI yesterday to evaluate swelling in his back.  It seems that there may be some leakage from insertion point of Baclophen medication.  Dr Frankel will be addressing this hoefully this week. 

Keep praying for Lance....and all of us.  Our time at Shepherd will be over soon...then we will be able to get back to activities like sitting on the back deck and watching the river flow.



  1. Sounds like a good time was had by you guys! So thankful that GOD continues to bless your family! I know you are thankful for every minute that you get to spend with Lance and i know he is probably looking forward to watching the river flow with dad real soon! Keep up the good work Lance!!!

  2. Lance...We are glad to know things are going well. You have been so strong through all of this, we know everyone is cheering you on! Patrick is looking forward to a visit with you when you return home.
    Stay strong and keep up the good work.
    We remember you everyday....God Bless.....Carol & Steve