Live the Lion was created in an attempt to keep everyone up to date on Lance O'Cull and his road to recovery.

Lance was involved in a car accident near Morehead, Kentucky about 30 miles from where we grew up Thanksgiving weekend of 2010. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident to UK Medical Center in Lexington. The doctors told us that they could fix everything below the neck, but his brain was in God's hands. On December 22, after multiple surgeries, Lance was transferred to The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia for an intense rehabilitation program.

It was there that Lance began to gradually emerge from a coma. Lance was discharged to home, in Vanceburg on February 17th, to continue his therapy with family.

On March 10th, Lance's 25th birthday, he stood on his feet for the first time in 103 days, with lots of help. On May 11th, Lance was accepted into Cardinal Hill's brain injury unit. There he impressed and amazed our family and friends, as well as his therapists through the progress he made everyday.

Between September 2011 and April of 2012, Lance was back and forth between Cardinal Hill's inpatient program and Shepherd Center's inpatient and outpatient program. He has had a couple minor surgeries to enhance his healing and a baclofen pump inserted to help with the tone in his body.

For the past year, Lance is back in Lewis County splitting his time with both parents. He continues to travel to Ashland 3 times a week and Lexington once a week. He is learning to walk again and we couldn't be more thrilled.

It hasn't been easy, Lance has had some setbacks and tears still fall. But he is up and running this marathon. And we are all running right along beside him.

Most of the blog entries have been made by myself, Chelcee, the big sister, Brock, our baby brother, and Dr. Johnny, our dad. Our goal is for Lance to finish this blog as soon as he is able.

God has been with Lance and our entire family, giving us strength. We give Him the Glory. He is the God of Miracles.


Friday, December 24, 2010

Beautiful day in north Atlanta.  Lance enjoyed listening to some Duke Ellington and the Beach Boys today.  We're getting more familiar to this city of a building and its family of employees and doctors.  We're also learning more ways to interact with Lance.  If you would like to say hello to Lance, you're welcome to leave him a voicemail--on my phone--which I will relay to him so he can hear more familiar voices.
If you know my number, you're free to send a voicemail, which can be done, by the way, without calling the actual number.  Just access your own voicemail (usually done by holding down one on your phone) and follow instructions on sending a voice-message.  I know this has some potential to be a little confusing, but it's not hard, and I think it can be a good thing.
If you leave a voicemail recording directed towards Lance, I will certainly play it for him.
If you don't have my number you can email me, or message me on facebook and I will do my best to reply.
It's great to hear from family and friends, as the environment here is definitely different.  Still, we're ever grateful for support.

No comments:

Post a Comment