Live the Lion was created in an attempt to keep everyone up to date on Lance O'Cull and his road to recovery.

Lance was involved in a car accident near Morehead, Kentucky about 30 miles from where we grew up Thanksgiving weekend of 2010. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident to UK Medical Center in Lexington. The doctors told us that they could fix everything below the neck, but his brain was in God's hands. On December 22, after multiple surgeries, Lance was transferred to The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia for an intense rehabilitation program.

It was there that Lance began to gradually emerge from a coma. Lance was discharged to home, in Vanceburg on February 17th, to continue his therapy with family.

On March 10th, Lance's 25th birthday, he stood on his feet for the first time in 103 days, with lots of help. On May 11th, Lance was accepted into Cardinal Hill's brain injury unit. There he impressed and amazed our family and friends, as well as his therapists through the progress he made everyday.

Between September 2011 and April of 2012, Lance was back and forth between Cardinal Hill's inpatient program and Shepherd Center's inpatient and outpatient program. He has had a couple minor surgeries to enhance his healing and a baclofen pump inserted to help with the tone in his body.

For the past year, Lance is back in Lewis County splitting his time with both parents. He continues to travel to Ashland 3 times a week and Lexington once a week. He is learning to walk again and we couldn't be more thrilled.

It hasn't been easy, Lance has had some setbacks and tears still fall. But he is up and running this marathon. And we are all running right along beside him.

Most of the blog entries have been made by myself, Chelcee, the big sister, Brock, our baby brother, and Dr. Johnny, our dad. Our goal is for Lance to finish this blog as soon as he is able.

God has been with Lance and our entire family, giving us strength. We give Him the Glory. He is the God of Miracles.


Sunday, December 5, 2010

Monday, November 29th 2010

Lance was involved in a head on collision last night on Cranston.  He has suffered life threatening injuries.  He has a pelvic fracture, which had landed him in traction.  He had a liver laceration that has been packed.  He has chest tubes to help with the fluid overload.  He has received multiple unit of blood products.  He also has arm fractures.  However, all of these below the head things can be fixed.  What is the most concerning right now is his brain.  They are mainly concerned with his intercranial pressure, which needs to stay low and so far today it has.  His blood pressure and heart rate have also been stable today.  He has been on chemical paralytics, they are hoping to start beta-blockers tonight and perhaps a feeding tube tomorrow.  We greatly appreciate everyone's prayers for Lance, he needs a miracle. Also, please keep the other people involved in the accident in your prayers.  We are at the trauma ICU at UK Hospital.  Cell phone service isn't the best, so feel free to call us in the waiting room.  Below are the numbers for the waiting room area:

No comments:

Post a Comment